Monday 2 December 2013

Working In Paris!

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+AMEX
Safe Haven in The Eurostar Lounge

They say every job has its perks. Sometimes we have to look a little harder to find them --and believe me, I've had those jobs.  However, with my current job, I get to go to Paris every month. (...and the perk is revealed in one simple sentence!) 

Paris is one of my favourite cities in the world.  (What's not to love? Great food. Wonderful shopping. Beautiful architecture. A magnificent history --Let ME eat cake!)

After my car collections me at 05:00 (Obscenely early!), I crawl into the Eurostar AMEX Lounge at St Pancras International, where I am immediately comforted by friendly staff, a sophisticated
ambiance and enough fresh croissant to make even Marie Antoinette blush.


Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+AMEX
Paris. I've arrived...

It takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to go from the heart of London to the centre of Paris. (Just enough time to catch up on a few missed winks from the night before or devour the latest Grazia.) I realized very early on that waiting for a taxi at Gare du Nord was a painful process, so I tackled the Paris Metro system with great success. From Gare du Nord, it takes less than 30 minutes to arrive in the "7th" on the super-chic Left Bank.

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche
Oh la la...Le Bon Marche

My working day is spent at this retail chateau of all things fashionable! Le Bon Marche is an institution and in my opinion, the very essence of that Parisian sophistication we all covet.  It houses the most beautiful selection of Fashion, Food & Wine, Beauty, Jewellery and Furniture. A great way to spend a luxurious afternoon. 

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche
Heaven on a Plate!

Did I mention great food? When working in Paris, I never miss an opportunity to enjoy a croque madame at neighbourhood brasserie, Les Mouettes (130 Rue du Bac). The service is typical --you have to wait to be served 5 minutes longer than you find comfortable, but the food is completely worth it. So stick it out, you won't be disappointed.

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche+Hotel+Chomel
Where to stay in The 7th Arrondisement/District?

On my last trip to Paris, I stayed at the Hotel Chomel (15 Rue Chomel), conveniently located a 'stones throw' away from Le Bon Marche. This hotel is well situated, clean and has a lovely view (ask for room 34, as it looks out onto the charming architecture pictured above.). However, the décor is slightly tired and the hotel seemed to be in a state of renovation. 

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche+Hotel+Raspail
View from Hotel Raspail, Paris

My other hotel recommendation comes in the form of Hotel Raspail Montparnasse. It is located at the crossroads of Blvd Raspail and bustling Montparnasse. The view is abundantly vibrant with the Eiffel Tower clearly visible in the distance.   

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche+Hotel+St+Michel
St Michel, Paris

No trip to Paris would be complete without exploring the nightlife. Paris is every bit as beautiful at night with a bustling bar/brasserie/lounge/theatre scene.  I enjoy popping down to the St. Michel area for a few drinks. (Bunkering down with a bottle of chablis whilst catching up with friends is a great way to end a busy day. Not to mention enjoying a dynamic crowd-watching scene.)

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche+Hotel+Blvd+Raspail+Markets
Paris Food Markets

Shame on me for breaking the consistency of my photos, but I believe the above picture should only exist in B&W. What a thrill it is to see the locals carrying out their morning food shop in their neighbourhood markets. This scene always conjures up a 1940's feel for me. The strong aromas from the many cheese and meat stalls fill your nostrils as you walk through the market.  A lovely way to end your sejour in Paris before heading home. 

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Paris+France+Travels+Work+Eurostar+Lounge+American+Express+Le+Bon+Marche+Hotel+St+Pancras+International+London
St Pancras International

After a busy weekend in Paris, it is always so lovely to come home to London. Walking along the platform, looking up at the elaborate Victorian roof at St Pancras has its own unique charm.

London to Paris and back again ...just do it!

Yours truly,

Lord Frewbe


   

No comments:

Post a Comment