Monday 9 December 2013

Whisky Weekend in SCOTLAND

Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Elgin+Scotland+Whisky+Brodie+Castle4
Brodie Castle
 
Every Lord should have his own castle. Mine is on order. (I have several more payments to make...) Going to Scotland was like going home for me, as I am originally from New Scotland. My first destination was The National Trust's Brodie Castle. If you are looking for a fairy tale Scottish castle, look no further...
 
Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Elgin+Scotland+Whisky+Brodie+Castle
The new 'Brodie' of Brodie Castle?

Brodie Castle has a long and celebrated history dating back to the 16th century.  It is what is called a 'Tower House.' Walking through the castle is a real step back in time with remarkably thick stone masonry, beautiful interiors and fabulous works of art. 
 
Foolishly, I could easily be swept up in the romance of castle life until it dawned on me ...I was absolutely freezing!! Welcome to the harsh reality of yester-year --little or no central heating.  Maybe that's where a smooth, heart-warming whisky earns its keep?
 
Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Elgin+Scotland+Whisky+Brodie+Castle+Benromach+Distillery+Gordon+Macphail
Benromach Distillery
 
One of the absolute highlights of my Scottish Highland weekend was a private tour of the Benromach Distillery. Originally founded in 1898 by Duncan McCallum and F.W.Brickman , it was refurbished/modernized by Gordon and MacPhail of Elgin in 1993.
 
I will never understand all the intricacies of Single Malt Scotch Whisky, but our tour guide gave me a beginner's overview. I was lucky enough to try the oldest single malt in the world. (Imagine drinking liquid gold.)  
 
If you can strain your eyes on the above picture, the first barrel on the upper left-hand corner was signed by Prince Charles on the distillery's reopening in 1998.
 
Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Elgin+Scotland+Whisky+Brodie+Castle+Benromach+Distillery+Gordon+Macphail+Johnsons+Wool+Mill
Johnsons of Elgin
 
When in Scotland, we shop for wool ...and lots of it!  Welcome to Johnsons of Elgin. This place is amazing. I couldn't help myself, indulging in several heavy wool blankets, lush scarves and chunky cable-knit sweaters. Recipients of this years Christmas gifts will be getting the gift of warm and fuzzy!  
 
Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Elgin+Scotland+Whisky+Brodie+Castle+Benromach+Distillery+Gordon+Macphail+Johnsons+Wool+Mill
 Lord Frewbe & Lady Blair of Elgin
 
I will take any old excuse to wrap myself up in tweed, plaid and more tweed!! It must be my New Scotland roots coming through.
 
Lord+Frewbe+Presents+Elgin+Scotland+Whisky+Brodie+Castle+Benromach+Distillery+Gordon+Macphail+Johnsons+Wool+Mill+Elgin
Elgin Town Centre
 
The town centre of Elgin has a rustic and very solid feel about it.  The heavy stone masonry of the architecture contrasts sharply with the warm and charming locals of Elgin. 
 
You'll find all your usual high street shops in Elgin, but make sure to stop by Gordon and MacPhail to do your whisky shopping. Among other things, I bough a haggis here. I still haven't worked up the courage to cook it.
 
Perhaps I'll save it for my Robert Burns dinner.
 
Get your plaid on!
 
Go visit Elgin.
 
Yours truly
 
Lord Frewbe
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment