Monday 8 September 2014

My Miami Sound Machine Moments

LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun
Doing my best to make friends with the locals..
 
Miami drums up all sorts of late 80's, early 90's cheesy TV imagery for me.  Flashbacks of Miami Vice, Gloria Estefan, The Golden Girls are all still firmly lodged in my childhood memory. (Growing up, I think I had a 'Miami Mice' T-shirt I shouldn't be admitting too..)  
 
As I am not a sun worshiper (Casper has a better tan than moi.) places like Miami don't usually pop up on my radar. Boy was I wrong to overlook this sun-drenched pleasure mecca. 
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+OceanDrive
Cruising down Ocean Drive
 
At first, I spent a great deal of time in downtown Miami (Don't waste your time.  It has all the charm of a newly built Arab mega city.) but with South Beach only 20 minutes by taxi, I soon discovered the 'heart' of Miami and relocated to Washington Blvd.


 
White -vs- Blue
 
The jewel in the crown of the South Beach area is without a doubt, the endless miles of powder-soft white sand. Sink your hard working tootsies into this gorgeous sand and you will never head back to the office again.
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+OceanDrive
Ocean Drive at Night
 
Sun play by day, watching the sights on Ocean Drive by night.  There is never time to be bored here.  If you are an avid social-watcher like me --everything is going on here.  People are out shaking EVERYTHING their mamma's gave them ...and then some.
 
 

WHERE TO STAY...

 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+Viceroy+Hotel+Pool
The HOT Tub at The Viceroy
 
There are some great hotels in Miami.  While I was staying downtown, I had a fabulous few days at The Viceroy Hotel.  The gigantic hot tubs, lavish spa facilities and impressive infinity pool caters to your more indulgent rock-star personality. (Think MTV Spring vacation..)
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+Kimpton+Hotel+TheAnglers+Pool
Welcome to The Anglers
 
When in South Beach, I stayed at The Anglers.  Whilst it is part of The Kimpton Hotel Chain, I wouldn't recommend it.  I understand it strives to achieve a relaxed beachy atmosphere --- but there is something terribly broken and tired about this hotel. If you are a Kimpton Hotel fan, you should go to The Surfcomber.  (I also recommend The Kimpton 'Epic' if you want to be downtown.)
 

WHERE TO EAT...

 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+Hotel+TheDelano+Pool
 
Probably one of the chicest hotels I've ever been too...
 
I adored EVERYTHING about this hotel.  Visually, it is has an old-world grandeur of giant pillars and pristine whitewash mixed with a very grounded coolness, attracting a supremely trendy clientele.
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+Hotel+TheDelanoHotel+Pool
Acting The Tourist at The Delano Hotel
 
Mother always told me, "If you want to look slim, get big furniture." The Delano has it all...
 
To get the full Delano experience, go for a casual drink by the pool before dinner.
 
On a warm summer's night, the lights reflecting off the pool and the fairy lights in the trees make for a magical experience.
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+TheStandardHotel+Liod+Pool
Lido at The Standard Spa & Hotel
 
For a more relaxed experience, head over to The Standard Spa & Hotel on Island Avenue. 
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+TheStandardSpa&Hotel+Lido+Restaurant+Pool
 
Dinner at Lido is such a pleasant experience.  It has an uncomplicated menu with very little fuss. Good old fashioned comfort foods on offer here --at a premium price. (You are paying for the view, soaking up the ambiance of this trendy 70's styled motel set-up.)
 
 

DAY TRIPS FROM MIAMI...

 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+Vizcaya+Museum+Gardens
Majestic Vizcaya
 
If Downton Abbey is your thing, you might want to pop over to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
 
If you are smart, (learn from my mistake here) don't go in the full heat of midday.  The gardens are such a lovely experience, made even more wonderful when you are not grilling under the 1pm sun.
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun+Vizcaya+Museum+Gardens
The Gardens at Vizcaya
 
Touring the gardens at Vizcaya is a fab way to spend an afternoon. 
 
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun
Cruising Tampa Bay
 
An hours flight from Miami, and you are in Tampa.  I spent a few days enjoying the sights in Tampa with friends, finishing my trip with a fabulous dinner cruise on the bay.
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun
Tampa Bay
 
Feeling very nautical on the S.S.Tourist Boat. (Yes, I just made that up!)
 
LordFrewbePresents+PaulMarsh+Miami+Florida+Tampa+USA+Beach+Fun+Sun
Beating The Heat
 
 
That concludes my Miami holiday.
 
 
Although, I won't say that I am a converted 'Hot Country' person yet, I will say...
 
Visit Miami --It's great fun!
 
Yours truly,
 
Lord Frewbe
 
 
 
PS. Did I mention I was nearly devoured by a dinosaur in Tampa??
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment